The Apprentice Doctor® — Intensive Medical & Surgical Skills Program
If you want to become a great medical professional – do not miss this for anything!
“Thank you so much for amazing opportunity presented in December for our daughter to attend the Apprentice Doctor medical program. We were slightly nervous knowing she is one of the youngest attendees at the onset, but the professional way the course was presented and the assistance offered by the Facilitators was world-class. We have never seen our daughter so excited & committed. She has not since the program completion, stopped doing research on anything to do with the medical profession. Thank you for igniting this passion in her even more.
Ps… I can safely safe that everyone in our family is in good health, as she has numerous times taken our blood pressure etc. as she wanted to practice what she was taught on everyone in the family. We drew the line at putting in stitches though.
Forever grateful for the opportunity. – Coetzer-family
Dear Dr. Anton, Sr Annette and Team
When your heart bursts in your chest with pride and excitement, it really is hard to find words to thank you!!
This experience did not only confirm that Janine wants to pursue a career in medicine, but it is also now carved in stone!!
This SUPER program offered her knowledge, skills, and insight to her future, but it also developed a part of her which is priceless for any parent. Seeing the massive change in her after the weekend, was just phenomenal!
For her, the realization of the capabilities and the passion she has, was surely one of the highlights.
Thank you, to each person, who made this weekend a weekend Janine will never forget. For teaching her and for allowing her to learn and discover who she is and will be as a doctor someday.
We are forever grateful to you and The Apprentice Doctor Programs. We will recommend The Apprentice Doctor Programs to each person crossing our roads, who has an interest in medicine.
Thank you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!!
Nelma and Gert
The Apprentice Doctor® and the Sci-Bono Discovery Science Center have joined hands in offering you an unforgettable week of medical and surgical immersion!
All 2022 programs are closed for receiving applications.
Want to register for a 2023 program? Click Here
Attention all aspiring medical professionals in grades 10-12 and post-matric. Join us in a week of ♠MEDICAL♠ CELEBRATION!
Venue: Sci-Bono Science Center, Newtown, Johannesburg
(In 2023 we are planning to arrange some programs in Pretoria, Alberton/Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.)
Type: Day Students Only.
Classification: Accredited Medical and Surgical Skills Program for Aspiring Medical Professionals.
Dates: (we can offer a letter to your school – as these programs are highly academic in nature.)
Several 32 to 36-hour programs in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban and Cape Town. Dates for 2023 – not available – in planning phase.
Booking status: Open for registrations – only space for 80 students. Closing 31 Oct – oversubscribed!
(Closed/historic: December 5-9, 2022, 18-20 February 2022, 18 – 20 March 2022, 30 April – 2 May 2022 & 11-14 July 2022, 29 Aug-1 Sept ’22, 8-10 October 2022).
Closing date: Four weeks before the start of the program. All students will receive a notification email – regarding their acceptance to the program – shortly after the closing date.
Eligibility: High School students (South Africa and neighboring states) in Grade 10 to 12. We will also consider mature Grade 9s who want to attend the program for the purpose of selecting subjects for Grade 10. Post-matric also welcome to apply.
Program fee (Alberton): R 5495 Including five full days of Medical School-like intensive tuition, multiple skills-based medical and surgical Workshops, the Future Doctors Kit containing various quality medical instruments and items, as well as lunch and refreshments as per program schedule daily.
The fee includes the following:
- Tuition (Apprentice Doctor® Future Doctors Foundation Course): Five days of packed medical tuition, various of medical and surgical workshops.
- The For Future Doctors Course and Medical Kit as well as other medical items.
- The use of our Apprentice Doctor® Medical Simulation Lab, mannequins as well as other professional medical instruments and items.
- The Future Doctors Academy (FDA) Resuscitation Workshop. Save lives after cardiac, or respiratory arrest or choking.
- Meals: Lunch, tea coffee and snacks are included. Breakfast is NOT included.
Note: students who have their own Future Doctors Kits qualify for a R350 discount. Normally the Apprentice Doctor® Suture Kits are available at R450 during the program but these kits are sponsored by SGU – complimentary.
Accommodation: This is a day-program. Accommodation is not included. We can recommend close-by hotels request. We have negotiated special reduced program rates with the City Lodge Hotel, Newtown – 3 minutes walk from the Sci-Bono Discovery Science Center.
The Apprentice Doctor® Presents the Ultimate, Accredited Premedical Programs/Workshops.
Do Not Miss This for Anything!
Attendees of previous Programs having a great time!
Hands-on workshops offered in the five days:
- Hand hygiene
- Donning and doffing gloves
- Scrub for surgery
- Heart sounds workshop
- Pulse Oximetry
- Suture Wounds
- Phlebotomy and IV-Skills
- Basic surgical skills
- Orthopedic workshop
- Fractured long bone – closed reduction
- Fractured long bone – open reduction and internal fixation
- The Future Doctors Academy Resuscitation Workshop – adults, toddler and babies.
- And more…
This is simply a ‘must’ for ALL aspiring medical professionals and healthcare providers!
The Program Schedule (minor changes possible)
REGISTER NOW (All South African 2022 Future Doctors Program)
(These programs are often oversubscribed – thus register without delay!)
Please ONLY register if you are serious about becoming a medical professional! Successful students will receive an acceptance to the Alberton Future Doctors Program – per email 2-3 days after the closing date.
Other International Apprentice Doctor® or associated programs:
Multiple programs nationally and internationally since 2010!
South Africa – Johannesburg and Pretoria: several program yearly 2010 to 2022
USA – Eastern Time Zone (EST) Virtual/Distance Learning – Future Doctors Academy – 2020, 2021 and 2022
USA – Eastern Time Zone (EST) Virtual/Distance Learning – Future Doctors Academy – 2020 – 2022
USA – Baltimore MD: The Envision Advanced Medical Program 2018, 2019, 2021 and 2022 (no in-person programs during 202 due to Covid 19)
USA – Tampa FL: The BE.S.T. Academy Future Doctors Program 2019 (no in-person programs during Covid 19)
USA – Boone NC: The Appalachian State University Program 2019 (no in-person programs during Covid 19)
Australia – Perth WA: The Scitech Future Doctors Program (2017 and 2018)
Many other programs – like Dallas TX, USA, Sofia Bulgaria and more…
Terms and conditions:
Important: The selection of individual students is solely the judgement of the Apprentice Doctor® or person/s appointed by the Apprentice Doctor® for the purpose of selecting applicants. The decision regarding the selection or rejection of specific applicants is final and NO discussion will be accepted/entertained in this regard.
As the Apprentice Doctor® – Future Doctors Programs are very popular and oversubscribed – we simply accept a limited number of applications and regretfully even some great applications could very well be in the not-accepted category.
The Apprentice Doctor® Program Certificate can be added to your university/Medical School Portfolio. The Apprentice Doctor® do not guarantee acceptance to any medical program/school – as this is solely the discretion of the selection committees of the various academic institutions.
Cancellations: Cancellations 4 weeks before program date: full refund less the registration fee of R500. Cancellations 2 weeks before program date: 50% refund and cancellations less than 2 weeks before starting date of program: NO REFUND (judgement of the organizers will apply in cases of serious illness and death in the family).
Common Questions and Answers:
I am in Grade 10, and I want to study medicine – but I am unsure. Will this program help me to make a final decision? From our experience a define “yes.” After attending one of our programs most students are super enthused – but a few realize that they would rather follow an alternative career. Both groups are better off at the end of the program.
Will this open the doors to medical school for me? There are a lot of requirements needed for successfully applying to medical schools – like good academic grades, good SAT/ACT/NBT results, etc. Adding the Future Doctors Academy Course Certificate to your resume will add value (32 credit hours of extracurricular activities). Kindly note: the Apprentice Corporation does not have any special arrangements with any specific individual medical schools, and we under no circumstances can guarantee (or imply) that this course certificate will ensure success regarding an individual’s application to attend any educational institution’s program. It is each individual university’s full prerogative on valuing attendance of this program.
Due to covid19 I haven’t been able to shadow medical professionals – will this count as shadowing hours? Yes, the majority of medical schools will consider alternative clinical experiences like:
- Simulation medical and surgical skills courses: complete as many medical and surgical simulation courses as possible, for instance: American Heart Association’s Basic Life Support (BLS), Stop the Bleed (STB), First Aid (various levels), and as many of the Future Doctors Courses (Suturing, Phlebotomy, Basic Surgical Skills, Aseptic Technique, etc.)
- Alternative clinical experiences, e.g., Hospice volunteer. Assist a Hospice as a volunteer and learn how to deal with the realities of death.
- Caretaker. A caretaker assists families with very sick family members with day to day needs.
Note: It is the student’s/parent’s responsibility to check with the relevant academic institution regarding their policy regarding shadowing during the covid19 pandemic.
Are you a university? No, the Apprentice Corporation with the brand name the Apprentice Doctor® is a private institution and not associated with any mainstream medical school or medical program. One cannot study to be any registered medical professional with any of the Apprentice Doctor® courses.
I failed grade 12 / matric – can I do your course? Can I become a doctor? If you redo your grade 12, and get high marks for maths and all the science subjects (physical science, chemistry and biological sciences as well as English) you may stand a chance of applying to medical school (presuming you have further evidence like job shadowing at a hospital for instance) in place. If you do not stand academically strong your application to medical school is likely to fail!
Is this a free program? No, unfortunately not – the course fee is a prerequisite of attending the course. It is mostly used to cover direct program costs.
Do you have a job for me? No, your local Department of Labor may be able to assist you in getting employment.
- This program does NOT qualify one as any type of medical professional. Attendees at the end of the program may not practice or sell their skills to any other person.
- This program is NOT a guarantee of acceptance to any medical or medical professional school. The Apprentice Corporation has no special arrangement with any medical or medical professional school.
- Successful students will get an accredited Attendance Certificate for 30 medical training credit hours, and are welcome to add this certificate to any career application. It is the individual school’s prerogative on how much weight they will attach to the certificate (if any). In addition to this all attending students will receive a STB and BLS certificate. We recommend all students complete the Future Doctors Academy Suturing assessment – earning their suturing certificate.
- The selection process takes many variables into consideration and is a closed process. There will be no discussion regarding individual student’s merits and the decision of the selection staff is final.
- This is a goodwill program. An effective way to exclude your child from the program is by being rude to Dr. Scheepers or any of the Apprentice Doctor staff in any form of communication. It is unfortunate that we have to include this point – as 99,5% of parents are magnificent people.